The 1st Semi-Annual KimballFest took place last night here on Pleasant Street in Beverly!
The rules were simple: 1.) Bring an interesting 6-pack and 2.) Bring an even more interesting glass.
We all tasted each of the different beers, grading them on a 1 to 5 scale of flavor. And then at the end of the evening,we tallied all the scores and announced the best beer. With a score of 3.78, the winner was Founders Brewing Breakfast Stout from Grand Rapids, MI. Described as the coffee lovers consummate beer, the Breakfast Stout is brewed with “an abundance of flaked oats, bitter and imported chocolates, Sumatra and Kona coffee.” Learn more about Founders Brewing here.
At the end of the night, we also voted on the best beer glass. And guess who won? Me! Thank goodness I received this gorgeous antique stein an hour before the event!
Check out all the beers, and their scores, from KimballFest. (And here’s a tip for you: Don’t try the Virgin Islands Ale. It’s not liquid sunshine. Trust us.)
- Troegenator Doublebock (Harrisburg, PA): 3.59
- Lagunitas Maximus IPA (Petaluma, CA): 3.59
- Loose Cannon Hop3Ale (Baltimore, MD): 2.5
- Virgin Islands Liquid Sunshine Belgian Style Ale (Portland, ME): 2.6
- Hazed and Infused Dry Hopped Ale (Boulder, CO): 3.75
- Monty Python’s Holy Ail (Eurobrews): 3.1
- Founders Brewing Breakfast Stout (Grand Rapids, MI): 3.78
- Ipswich Hosiery Ale Double IPA (Ipswich, MA): 2.7
- Ipswich Ale Choate Bridge Stout (Ipswich, MA): 3.5
PS: Although I’m not a Kimball, the generous family allowed a few “honorary Kimballs” to take part in this fantastic new tradition. Learn more about my favorite Kimball over at Stranded Dog.